Sunday, January 4, 2009

Shoerack Bench

So here is the background to the wood in this project. I work in a scientific laboratory and get all sorts of deliveries. The pallets that scientific equipment comes on are usually hand built and if of European decent, than it is birch plywood. This wood came from pallet that an ultracentrifuge from Germany was shipped on. It is NICE wood. Anyway on to the details.

I cut the sides as a stack so the diamond detail would be accurate and line up. The bottom was cut the same way.


I took each side half separately and cut the rabbet to accept the top. In hind sight I should have waited till I had the sides glued together to cut the rabbet because now I have some trimming to do to make the top sit flat in the rabbet.


I then glued the sides and top halves together to form solid pieces. After trimming the rabbets and squaring the top, one side and the top were glued. Tonight I will trim the other rabbet and glue that to the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment