Friday, January 2, 2009

Garden Beds

I started making more raised garden beds today. The wood came from my in-laws. They tore down their deck and asked if we wanted any of it. This is PT wood that has been outside for about 10 years. 1 face is OK and 1 face is good. I took half of what was there (all that would fit in my little pick-up). Its all 2x6x at least 8 ft. This is a great use for this wood that would have been thrown to the curb.

So, I picked the longest ones I could (12ft) and cut a simple overlap for the corner. I had used butt joints before but this will be much stronger and last longer. I cut the short sides stacked up all in one go. Made the cross cut and then popped out the remaining piece with a chisel. It is a satisfying sight to line up a chisel, give it a few good mallet whacks and POP; out comes the trash. I then cut the long sides two at a time. I got through four boards before I was needed for childcare duty. I will do the other four later. My wife says "I think you just like making small chunks" as there were many 1 1/2 x 2 5/8 x 1 1/2 end pieces laying about.

No comments:

Post a Comment